About the revision history
This is a comprehensive list of the features added to Zentris for DOS in each version from 1.20 to 1.62 (which was the final version, released in 1992). The feature-set is cumulative, except where noted, so features found in any earlier version will also be found in all later versions.
New features in version 1.62 - June 10, 1992
- Added dates to the high score list, and a menu option to select either American or European date formats.
- Added a reminder that ESC may be used to activate the pull-down menus to the introduction screen.
New features in version 1.60 - May 23, 1992
- Save and Restore Games
- Multiple piece styles supported
- Rewrote joystick routines
- Added a CRC check to the program. This check protects the Zentris program from any and all viruses. It uses multiple 32-bit CRCs, and is quite fast.
New features in version 1.51
- Speed up gravity with CTRL key, from a suggestion by Gerry Eichner
- Backwards rotation by holding down CAPS key, from a suggestion by Gerry Eichner
- Optional drop interruption feature
- Shell-to-DOS bug fixed (couldn’t return from a shell to DOS in Zentris version 1.50)
- Added some more text info boxes, changed the style of some
New features in version 1.50
- From a suggestion by Rick Ibarra, added an option to allow you to write your game configuration to disk. Simply select "Write Config" from the "Config" pull-down menu. (Registered version only.)
- Possibly fixed a bug with joystick calibration that resulted in an "Oops!" error with some joysticks. The exact cause is still unknown, but a minor change was made in the calibration procedure to hopefully solve this problem.
- Changed the names of some commands on the menus so that none of the first letters were duplicated in any pull down menu.
- Made a Zentris Installation Program
New features in version 1.41
- Fixed inability to select 8-color gray scale option with a mouse
- Made the game more responsive when in demo mode
- Added [D] key to toggle Demo, instead of just being able to do this from the pull-down menus
New features in version 1.40
- Pull-down menus!
- New self-play mode ("Demo" from "Game" menu)
- Moved keyboard redefinition to pull down menus instead of game start up
- Moved DOS Shell to "Shell to DOS" from "Game" menu
- New Game (restart) feature
- About Author and About Zentris information added
- Manual updated with the new Version 1.40 features
- Different types of gray scales, removed the [G] key for [G]ray Scale and instead put the option in the menus
New features in version 1.31
- Fixed "high-scores-not-being-saved" bug (thanks to Joel Ylvisaker)
- Cleaned up introduction screen (from a suggestion by Peter Kienitz)
New features in version 1.30
- New background screen design
- Keyboard redefinition for registered version
- Some minor changes to the manual
- Support for initials on the pieces
New features in version 1.20
- Extended 8514/A compatibility
- New styles for pop up boxes and row erasure
- Enhanced joystick support for registered version
- /f parameter for incompatible VGA systems
- Clock feature
- Some previously undocumented keys now listed in the manual
- Support for INS key to drop pieces